Cajun Lentil Po’ Boy Subs
To join with the Mardi Gras celebrations, we have wanted to have some typical Cajun meals. Today we enjoyed Cajun Po’ Boy subs.
Yield: 4-6 sub sandwiches
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 leek, white parts and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ – 2 cups tomato puree
- Italian herbs
- Cajun seasonings
- lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan cheese slices
- 4 Hoagy rolls or hot dog buns or baguettes
to prepare the lentil balls:
- Cook the lentils in 2-3 cups of lightly salted water.
- Once the lentils are soft, allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop the leek, celery and mince the garlic.
- It is your choice if you wish to put them raw with the lentils or sauté them first and then add to the lentils. We left them raw, as once formed, the balls will be lightly fried.
- Mix the vegetables with the lentils.
- Form balls from the mixture about the size of walnuts. If you wish, you can roll the balls in bread crumbs, but we did not do this.
to prepare the tomato sauce:
- Place the tomato puree in a small saucepan.
- Add the Italian herbs, Cajun seasonings, lemon juice, Tabasco and salt and pepper as needed.
- Heat the sauce on a low fire.
to make the subs:
- Fry the lentil balls in a small amount of oil until the are brown on each side.
- Slice each roll or bun. Place a slice of vegan cheese on one side.
- Then put a spoonful of tomato sauce on the inside of the bun.
- Lay 3 or 4 lentil balls in the bun, depending on the size of the bun.
- Top with another layer of tomato sauce.
- Continue in the same way making 4-5 lentil-ball subs.