Mushroom Stroganoff is one of our favorite winter meals. It’s quick and easy to make as well as filling. Adding the nuts brings in more protein.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian spices (optional but nice)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 pint soy yogurt
- lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- dash Tabasco
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in a large skillet using 1 tablespoon of vegan margarine or oil.
- De-seed the bell pepper chop and add to the onion.
- Slice the mushroom thinly.
- Add mushrooms to the onions and bell pepper.
- Mince the garlic and add to the mushrooms.
- In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, tamari, splash of lemon juice and spices.
- Add yogurt and cashew nuts and cook over low heat.
- If you want more sauce you can add a bit of water to thin it out,
- Serve this over egg free noodles, natural brown rice or barley.