Red Cabbage Slaw with Orange Tahini Dressing
This colorful salad is delicious. We enjoyed it as a lunch, but it would be great at any meal, even special holiday meals.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned (cut as matchsticks)
- 1-2 organic apples, cored and cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- handful chives, chopped as garnish (optional)
for the orange tahini dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1-2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2″ knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- To prepare the salad: Cut a wedge from the red cabbage and using a good vegetable peeler, shave the red cabbage in fine shreds. Continue using all of the cabbage.
- Slice the red onion very finely and separate the rings.
- Add to the red cabbage and toss lightly.
- Peel the carrots and slice in long matchstick shapes.
- Add the carrots to the red cabbage and lightly toss.
- Prepare the dressing by placing all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and pulsing to a smooth consistency.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Shortly before serving, core and chop the apples in small pieces and add to the salad.
- Lightly toss the salad.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top and optionally garnish with a few chopped chives.
- Serve the salad with the dressing in a carafe for each to help themselves.
- Alternatively you can put the dressing on and toss, this will create a light purple sauce on the salad and the ingredients will become slightly wilted. Some prefer it this way, others prefer the crisp vegetables for each to mix as they wish.