Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pears and Red Onions and Balsamic Vinegar Sauce
This is a delicious side dish that would grace any holiday table or is wonderful any time of the year.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 ripe pears, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 large red onions, peeled and cut in eighths
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic fruit vinegar reduced
- Trim the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts.
- Slice the end off and cut in half.
- Slice the red onions and peel and cut the pears.
- Place the sprouts in a steamer and steam lightly until just softened.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F / 218 C.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, onions and pears in an oven proof baking dish.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lightly toss or stir to mix and place in the oven to bake until golden brown (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile place the balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and allow the balsamic vinegar to reduce and thicken.
- Serve as a side dish with the balsamic vinegar drizzled over the vegetables.
Throughout the summer months we use fresh berry juices added to balsamic vinegar to make fruited balsamic vinegar. We use rhubarb, strawberries, red and black currents and elderberries to make various balsamic vinegars to use over the year. For this recipe we used our elderberry balsamic vinegar.