Mushroom Biscuits with Vegan Cheese
We enjoyed these biscuits for Sunday morning brunch with a lovely Vegan White Bean Spread, coffee and juice. They are a variation of “All American Biscuits” or also scones. They are quick and easy to make with a nice hearty flavor.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold vegan margarine
- 1/3-1/2 cup mushrooms cut in very small pieces and sautéed
- 1 teaspoon oil to sauté mushrooms
- 1-2 ounces vegan cheese cut in small pieces
- 3/4 cup cold soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 F / 232 C.
- Clean and cut the mushrooms in very small pieces.
- Heat the teaspoon of oil in a small frying pan and lightly sauté the mushrooms.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool until needed.
- Cut the vegan cheese into small pieces, leaving a few as slices to go on the top of the biscuits.
- Place the flour in a bowl. Add the baking powder and salt and whisk to mix.
- Cut in the vegan margarine to make a course sandy like meal.
- Add the sautéed mushroom pieces and vegan cheese pieces and mix.
- Add the vegan soy milk and stir to mix and make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured workspace and fold gently 3-4 times. Be careful to not over-work the dough.
- Cut the dough in your preferred biscuit shape.
- Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Place a slice of vegan cheese on the top of each biscuit and place in the oven to bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
These biscuits taste best warm from the oven. They can be enjoyed a couple of hours later but, best eaten on the day they are made. The recipe works well halved, in case you want to make fewer.