Tex-Mex Zucchini and Rice Casserole with Spicy Tofu Pieces
This was a great meal that we enjoyed last night. It’s a good way to use one of those extra large zucchini’s that had been hiding in the garden.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 2 & 1/2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 cups prepared spicy tofu pieces
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 can cubed tomato chunks
- 2-3 tablespoons chili peppers, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasonings
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese, grated or in pieces
- Cook the rice in a medium saucepan with the water and vegetable bouillon cube.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Chop the onion.
- Place the can of tomato chunks in a medium bowl, add the onions.
- Add the chopped chili peppers.
- Add the grated zucchini, basil and taco seasonings and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C.
- Fluff the rice and add the tofu pieces.
- Mix in the tomato-zucchini mixture and season to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to an oiled oven-proof casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the vegan cheese on top and optionally decorate with a few jalapeño pepper slices.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the vegan cheese has melted.
- Remove and allow the casserole to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
We enjoyed this meal with a lovely mixed salad and whole grain bread.