Vegan Turnip Gratin
We have really been enjoying turnips this year. They are a newly discovered vegetable for us and we find them quite tasty. Tonight we enjoyed them baked with a light gratin sauce.
Serving Size: 4
- 6 medium fresh turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- pinch salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch nutmeg (optional but nice)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 ounce vegan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 162°C.
- Make the gratin sauce first.
- Chop the onion.
- Place the plain soy yogurt in a bowl and add the chopped onion.
- Add the vegetable bouillon powder, salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne and nutmeg.
- Peel the turnips and cut into slices about 1/4 of an inch thin.
- Cook the raw turnip slices in salted boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Remove from water and drain
- Coat the inside of a casserole dish with olive oil.
- Place a spoonful of the gratin sauce on the bottom and then a layer of turnips.
- Next add a layer of the sauce, and then another layer of the turnips. Continue layering until all the ingredients have been used.
- Top the dish off with the grated vegan cheese and thyme leaves sprinkled on top.
- Place in the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes.
- When the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbly, remove from the oven and serve.
- We dusted the top with a bit of paprika powder.