Vegan Quinoa Waffles
We enjoyed these for Sunday morning breakfast. They would be lovely for Mother’s Day.
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 & 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup fine polenta or cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg replacements
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- oil for the waffle iron
- One cup of dry quinoa, washed well, and cooked in 3 cups of water will give you 4 cups of cooked quinoa.
- Mix the cooked quinoa, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, mix the water, egg replacements, vanilla extract and non-dairy milk together.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix with a spoon to a smooth consistency.
- Heat the waffle iron and spray with oil.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the quinoa mixture onto the hot waffle iron and cook until lightly browned. They do take longer to cook than regular waffles.
- We enjoyed these with a simple strawberry sauce. A pint of strawberries, washed and hulled. Most chopped into a bowl with a few left to use as garnish. 2-3 tablespoons of sugar mixed with the strawberries, and then allowed to macerate for at least 1/2 a hour (longer is better).