Baguettes with Avocado Kiwi Salsa and Spicy Tofu Pieces
This is a delicious lunch or appetizer that we enjoyed today. The combination of kiwi with the avocado is really lovely.
Yield: 8 open faced sandwiches
- 4 individual ciabatta baguettes or rolls
- 4 ounces tofu, cut in small pieces sautéed with spices
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 3 medium ripe kiwis, peeled and chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander or cilantro, washed and chopped
- 2-4 splashes hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave or rice syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil to brush the baguettes
- fresh sprouts as a garnish
- Prepare the spicy tofu pieces. Blot the tofu dry, sauté in a lightly oiled pan with spices of choice such as taco seasoning. When done, remove from the pan, drain on a paper towel and set aside until needed.
- Peel the kiwi and chop in small pieces. Place the kiwi pieces in a medium bowl.
- Finely mince the onion and add to the kiwi.
- Peel the avocados, slice in half, remove the nut and cut the avocados in small pieces. Add the avocado pieces to the kiwi and onions.
- Add the lime juice, hot sauce and agave syrup and mix well.
- Chop the coriander or cilantro and add to the salsa. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slice the baguettes, lightly oil with olive oil and place on a grill or griddle to brown. When the baguettes are golden brown, remove from the grill.
- Place a generous amount of the avocado/kiwi salsa on each of the the baguettes.
- Add a few pieces of spicy tofu.
- Serve the baguettes garnished with a few fresh sprouts on top.
An alternative for the spicy tofu could be some sort of vegan deli slices.
Join Club Vegalicious
to print this post and download PDF, MacGourmet3, Meal-Master and MasterCook files.