Winter Stir Fry with Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts
We really enjoyed this meal on a white winter’s night. It was very filling, yet not heavy.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 & 1/2 cups whole grain rice, uncooked
- 12 pounces Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sambal ulek
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 12 ounces cabbage, finely shredded
- 10 ounces spicy tofu pieces
- 2 tablespoons tamari or light soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the rice in a pot, add double the amount of water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the rice to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer. When the water has cooked off, place a lid o the pot and remove from the heat to further swell.
- Make the sauce by placing the tamari and sambal ulek in a small bowl and whisk to mix.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the Brussels sprouts. Wash, and remove any damaged outer leaves. If they are large, slice in half, if small then cut an X on the stem.
- Steam the Brussels sprouts al dente.
- While the Brussels sprouts are steaming, slice the cabbage very thinly.
- Heat the tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the cabbage and lightly and stir fry.
- Add the spicy tofu pieces and the Brussels sprouts. It will only take a few minutes for the meal to be ready.
- Add the sauce and stir to mix well. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the stir fry meal over the rice.