TVP Lettuce Wraps
With the holiday season behind us now, having enjoyed many nice meals and baked goods, we are looking forward to lighter meals. Lettuce wraps are a great way to cut back on breads, yet still have a filling and satisfying meal.
Yield: 6 wraps
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 & 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 10-12 water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn
for the dipping sauce:
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Thai sweet spicy chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Cut the bottom stem from the lettuce making it easier to carefully remove the lettuce leaves.
- Wash, pat dry the leaves and set aside.
- Place the TVP in a bowl and pour the boiling water over. Put a plate or lid on top of the bowl and allow the TVP to swell for 10 minutes or so.
- Chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and sauté the onion until glassy.
- Add the TVP and stir well to mix.
- Add the tomato pate, taco herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and remove the TVP mixture from the heat.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Slice the water chestnuts and prepare the corn (drain the liquid if it is in a can, thaw if frozen, cook if fresh).
to prepare the dipping sauce:
- Mix the Thai sweet chill sauce with the sesame oil, tamari and ginger.
- Season to taste and place i a small dipping bowl.
To make the wraps, place a tablespoon of each ingredient in each lettuce leaf and wrap up as you do a tamale.
Set 2 lettuce wraps on each plate with some dipping sauce.
Join Club Vegalicious
to print this post and download PDF, MacGourmet3, Meal-Master and MasterCook files.