Banushi (Banana Sushi Bites)
These sushi inspired puff pastry bites with banana were lots of fun and tasted delicious. Harald came up with the idea and I had fun making them.
Yield: 12 bites
- 4 bananas
- 3-4 sheets frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 1 vegan chocolate bar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate hazelnut spread
- pretzel (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F or whatever the puff pastry package indicates.
- Peel the bananas and cut them in bite-sized (about 3/4 of an inch) rounds.
- Using an apple corer, cut the center part of each round out to make a hollow opening.
- Slice each sheet of thawed puff pastry into strips, the same size as the banana bites (about 3/4 of an inch).
- Wrap each hollow banana bite with a strip of puff pastry and close the pastry with a bit of water and pressing the two ends together on top of each other.
- Place the banana bites on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Cut the vegan chocolate bar into small thin pieces that will fit into the hollow of the banana.
- Using knife, or small spoon, fill the hollow with peanut butter or the hazelnut/chocolate spread.
- Place a piece of chocolate in or next to the peanut butter in the hollow.
- We also added a couple of pretzels cut off at the right size to give some crispness.
- Fill all of the banana bites and place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool as they are quite hot and could burn your tongue.
Join Club Vegalicious
to print this post and download PDF, MacGourmet3, Meal-Master and MasterCook files.