Roasted Fall Veggie Bruschetta with Kale, Sage and Chive Pesto
This is a really delicious pesto and also a good dip for veggies. We will have the rest of it tonight with home-made crackers and black radish chips.
Yield: 12-16 slices
- 3 cups fresh kale, washed and chopped
- 8-9 fresh sage leaves, washed and chopped
- small bunch of chives, washed and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup hazelnut meal (or alternatively almond or walnut meal)
- 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water if necessary to puree the kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 baguette, sliced on the diagonal in rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 beet, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
- other fall root veggies of choice, peeled and finely chopped
- dash of salt
- Place the kale in a blender or food processor.
- Add the oil, chives, minced garlic and sage.
- Pulse to puree. If the ratio of liquid to mass is too low, then add a bit more oil or water. I used water, adding a few tablespoons at a time until the blender could puree the leaves.
- Once the mixture is pureed, add the nutritional yeast and nut meal, and puree again.
- Add the dry mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Prepare the vegetables and place them in an oven-proof baking dish.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top and then sprinkle a dash of salt.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until golden and soft.
- When the vegetables are done, remove from the oven.
- Slice and toast the baguette.
- Spread some of the pesto o each slice the a spoonful of the roasted vegetables.
- Serve warm.