We have grown black salsify for the first time this year, and found how delicious this forgotten vegetable is. It has a very mild flavor, rather like a mild asparagus. This is an easy dish to prepare and quite tasty.
Serving Size: 4
- 12-16 black salsify roots, (3-4 per person)
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley, chopped as garnish
- Fill a bowl with water and add the lemon juice.
- Under running water, peel the salsify. This will help to keep your hands from becoming sticky from the sap.
- Slice off the ends of the salsify and cut in half. It will be two approx. 3 inch pieces from each root.
- Place immediately in the lemon water.
- Heat the vegan margarine in a large frying pan that has a lid.
- Drain and blot dry the salsify pieces.
- Place the salsify in the frying pan and sauté. Add the lid to contain the moisture released from the salsify. It will take from 8-20 minutes until they are lightly golden brown. Stir from time to time.
- About 1/2 way through the cooking process, add 1/4 cup of dry white wine as liquid to help the salsify cook.
- When the salsify become tender, add another 1/4 – 3/4 of the white wine. Leave the lid off of the pan, and allow the wine to evaporate.
- Season the salsify lightly with salt and I see white pepper.
- Serve the salsify garnished with a bit of chopped parsley.
As an option, one cold also add 1 or 2 apples and cook them for the last few minutes with the salsify.