Orange Pumpkin Carrot Soup with Ginger and White Wine
This is a delicious hearty soup with the flavors of autumn that we joyed for lunch today.
- 1 small pumpkin or red kuri squash, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy cream (optional)
- garnish with croutons or pumpkin seeds.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil.
- Add the chopped carrots and begin to sauté to soft.
- Add the pumpkin/squash chunks and continue to cook to soften. Stir often to avoid sticking or scorching.
- Add the chopped ginger, onion and shallot.
- Add the water, thyme, cloves and allspice and allow the vegetables to cook until soft.
- Puree the vegetables. It will be quite thick.
- Thin with the orange juice and wine.
- Season to taste with the brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- We found the soup to be delicious at this point.
- If you wish a thinner soup you can add more orange juice or wine.
- If you wish you can add soy or any non dairy cream, however we didn’t think it was needed.
- We garnished the soup with pumpkin seeds and enjoyed the soup with whole grain rolls.
If you prefer, the pumpkin and carrots can be roasted in the oven.