Roasted Squash with Pear Salsa and Soy Cheese
We just harvested our first squash along with pears and used them in this very tasty recipe. We enjoyed it as part of our main meal, along with roasted potatoes and roasted green beans with walnuts.
Serving Size: 4
for the roasted squash:
- 1 red kuri squash, sliced and de-seeded
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pear salsa
- 8 ounces soy cheese, sliced
for the pear salsa:
- 3-4 ripe pears, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- salt to taste
to make the pear salsa:
- Peel and core the pears, chop in small pieces and add into a bowl.
- De-seed the bell pepper and chop into small pieces and add to the pears.
- Thinly slice and add the scallions.
- Mince and add the jalapeno pepper.
- Add the raisins, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and 2 teaspoons of minced ginger.
- Mix well and salt to taste.
- Cover and place in a refrigerator while making the roasted squash.
to make the squash meal:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Quarter the squash, remove the seeds, and slice the quarters into eights if it is large.
- Place squash into a large & sturdy roasting tray.
- Add the olive oil, salt, pepper mix well, making sure that all the squash pieces are coated in olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the squash is soft & also tinged brown at the edges.
- When the squash is soft, remove from the oven.
- Slice the soy cheese.
- Serve the squash with the pear salsa and pieces of soy cheese..