Banana Rhubarb Bread Delight
Vegan Banana Rhubarb Bread with Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Sauce. We don’t usually have mixtures with many different flavors but we must admit this special dessert was especially delicious.
Serving Size: 8
for Vegan Banana Rhubarb Bread:
- 3 bananas mashed or pureed
- 1 – 1 & 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup sugar (can be 1/2 white 1/2 brown)
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup soy milk with 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
for the strawberries:
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar to draw the juice (optional)
for the chocolate sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
to make the banana rhubarb bread:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (177 C)
- Spray a 8X4 loaf pan with oil.
- Clean and cut the rhubarb.
- Mash or puree the bananas.
- Place the flour, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add the prepared rhubarb and mix well to cover the rhubarb with flour. This keeps all the rhubarb from sinking to the bottom.
- Beat the sugar and vegan margarine together to a light fluffy mixture.
- Add the prepared bananas.
- Mix in the vanilla and soy milk with the vinegar.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry and mix until everything is evenly wet, but do not over mix.
- Pour the stiff batter into the loaf pan.
- Spread the top evenly and bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
to prepare the strawberries:
- Clean, hull and slice the strawberries.
- If you wish to have juice from the strawberries, then add 1-2 teaspoons of sugar and mix gently.
- Let the juices draw for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.
to make the chocolate syrup:
- Put the water in a small sauce pan.
- Add the sugar and salt and bring the mixture to a boil, be sure to stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the cocoa and continue stirring.
- Cook only until the mixture begins to thicken, then remove from the heat.
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon and mix it evenly into the syrup.