Beet and Rhubarb Soup
This was a lovely soup today. It was slightly sour, the rhubarb flavor was not so evident. But the mixture of all the flavors together was quite refreshing and filling.
- 2 large beets
- 2 cups rhubarb
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash cayenne pepper or Tabasco
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar or agave syrup
- soy yogurt
- lemon balm leaves (optional)
- Wash, peel and chop the beets.
- Place the beets in a large soup pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the bouillon cubes and turn to a simmer.
- Clean and chop the rhubarb.
- Place in a saucepan add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water and cook until the rhubarb is soften.
- Add the cooked rhubarb to the beets.
- When the beets are soft, puree.
- If you wish to have a thinner soup, add some water to thin.
- Add the cinnamon, and Tabasco or cayenne and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar, depending on your preference.
- Serve the soup warm or cold with a dollop of soy yogurt.
- We garnished the soup with a few young lemon balm leaves.
The soy yogurt is an important ingredient to bring out the flavors.