Lemon Risotto Rice Pudding with Rhubarb Compote
This was a lovely dessert that we recently enjoyed with fresh rhubarb from the garden. It’s easy to make and doesn’t take long. It tastes best warm.
Serving Size: 4
for the risotto:
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups water or non dairy milk
for the rhubarb compote:
- 4 cups rhubarb cut in pieces
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- whipped non-dairy topping as optional garnish
To make the risotto:
- In a medium pot, bring the lemon juice sugar and 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Once boiling add the rice.
- Stir the rice until the liquid has been absorbed.
- The rice will not be soft yet.
- Add the 3rd cup of water and the lemon zest.
Continue to stir.
- As the rice becomes soft and thick, check for flavor.
You may want to add more sugar.
- It may take a bit more water before the rice is soft.
- Once the rice has a nice soft consistency, remove from the heat and place a lid on the pot.
- Alternatively you can put the rice into individual serving bowls and allow to cool.
to make the compote:
- Bring the sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil.
- Add the rhubarb pieces and cook until the rhubarb is soft.
Depending on how soft or solid you want the rhubarb pieces, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place a generous amount of risotto in 4 individual bowls.
- Pour the rhubarb sauce around the rice pudding and a dollop of whipped topping on top.
- Garnish with a bit of lemon zest as an option.
- We enjoyed this warm.
You can use a non-dairy milk to make this, but we did not find it necessary. The lemon-sugar-water worked really well. It may depend upon your rice though. We used the traditional aborio or pudding rice.