Strawberry and Rhubarb Blini
We enjoyed these tasty treats for Sunday morning breakfast. They would also be nice at a brunch or even as a mid-afternoon treat.
Serving Size: 4
for the blini:
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 2 egg replacements
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 small pkg. of yeast
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbs. vegetable oil
for the ricotta-style filling:
- 8 ounces tofu crumbled
- 2 tbs. plain soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons agave or malt syrup
- splash lemon juice
- pinch nutmeg
for the strawberry rhubarb sauce:
- 1 lb. rhubarb (between 4 and 6 stalks)
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
It is important that the ingredients for the batter are all warm or room temperature so that the yeast can rise. You can make the filling and sauce while the ingredients are coming to room temperature or warming up.
to make the batter:
- Put the warm soy milk, sugar yeast and 1/2 of the flour in a bowl and gently whisk together. Be careful so as not to kill the yeast.
- Place the mixture in a warm spot and allow the yeast to rise for 1/2 hour.
- When the yeast begins to bubble, gently stir the mixture from time to time so that the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the batter and gently stir together. It will be a thick smooth batter.
for the sauce:
- Cut rhubarb into half-inch slices.
- Hull and slice the strawberries.
- Place the sugar and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a soft boil.
- Add the rhubarb, cinnamon, and most of the sliced strawberries. Save a few strawberries to garnish with.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook fruit mixture for 8-10 minutes until softened but not mushy.
- After 4 minutes of cooking, mix the cornstarch with a bit of water and add to the cooking fruit. Stir the mixture gently as it cooks. It will become thicker and clear. Remove from the heat.
to make the filling:
- Crumble the tofu into a small bowl.
- Add the soy yogurt and mix and mash together.
- Add the sweetener and the nutmeg and lemon juice and mix well.
- If the mixture is too liquid, you can add a bit more tofu, or some dried breadcrumbs will absorb the liquid and make a firm filling.
to make the blini:
- Spray a small frying pan with vegetable oil.
- Ladle a small amount of batter onto the hot pan and rotate the pan to evenly coat with the batter.
- The underside of the blini is done when small bubbles appear on the top side. Turn the blini over and cook on the other side.
- Put a small amount of filling in each blini “pancake”, and fold the sides in as an envelope.
- You can set the blini in a warm oven until they are all prepared.
- Serve the blini with the sauce and enjoy.