Fava Bean and Spinach Salad with a Tahini Dressing
We really enjoyed this salad today. The colors look great and remind us of the coming springtime. The tahini dressing goes very nicely with the salad.
Serving Size: 2
for the salad:
- 1 cup (about 4 oz) frozen shelled fava beans (broad beans)
- 4 cups (about 4 oz) baby spinach leaves, trimmed and washed
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled soy cheese
for the tahini dressing:
- 1 /3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar, agave or maple syrup
to prepare the salad:
- Bring a small pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Blanche the froze fava beans until they float.
- Rinse with cold water and remove the shells.
- Clean and trim the spinach.
- Toast the sunflower seeds or pine nuts.
- Mince the red onion.
- Finely chop or crumble the soy cheese.
- Place the ingredients for the salad on individual salad plates.
to prepare the dressing:
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Season to taste with extra lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Serve in a cruet for people to serve themselves.