Walnut Radicchio Risotto with Smoked Tofu Pieces
This recipe makes a very nice winter meal. Radicchio is one of the vegetables we can get fresh over the winter. We really enjoyed this meal and hope you will also.
Serving Size: 4
- 3-4 spring onions green parts only, chopped (chives)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup walnuts, some chopped some whole
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium radicchio, sliced
- 4 tablespoons walnut or olive oil
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 6 – 8 ounces smoked tofu (180 grams)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional but nice)
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1/4 cup grated soy cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the walnuts and lightly toast in a pan.
- Slice the onion and mince garlic.
- Cut the spring onions to make chives (small round green onion pieces).
- Julienne the radicchio.
- Grate the soy cheese.
- Toast the walnut pieces in a dry frying pan. Be careful that they do not burn.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion slices and sate until glassy.
- Add the risotto and garlic.
- As the risotto becomes glassy, add the wine if using.
- Allow the wine to be absurd, then add 1 cup of vegetable bouillon.
- Add the toasted walnut pieces reserving a few as garnish.
- Cook the risotto, stirring until the bouillon has been absorbed.
- Add the second cup of vegetables bouillon and the tofu pieces.
- Cook the risotto, stirring.
- As the risotto becomes soft and is almost ready to be served, add the sliced radicchio and mix into the risotto. It does not take long for the radicchio to wilt and thus be ready.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the meal with the chives sprinkled and a light dusting of soy cheese sprinkled on top.
- Add a few walnut on top as well, and the meal is ready to be enjoyed.