Pumpkin Apple Raisin Salad with Walnuts
This is a very tasty salad that we enjoyed today. We used a red kuri squash, also known as Uchiki Kuri Squash.
Serving Size: 4
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons walnut or pumpkin seed oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon sweet grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1-2 tablespoons syrup (maple, agave, or fruit)
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet spicy sauce (optional)
for the salad:
- 1 & 1/2 cups pumpkin or winter squash, peeled and grated
- 1 & 1/2 cups apple chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- red chicory or radicchio
to mix the dressing:
- Place the oil, mustard, syrup, ginger and lemon juice in a cup or small bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add the salt and pepper and Thai sauce if desired.
to make the salad:
- Peel and grate the pumpkin or winter squash.
- Place the grated pumpkin in a bowl.
- Chop the apple in small pieces or optionally grate.
- Add the apple pieces to the grated pumpkin.
- Add the raisins and stir to mix.
- Chop the walnut pieces.
- Add most of the walnut pieces to the salad, reserving a few pieces as garnish.
- Add the dressing to the salad and mix well.
- Clean the red chicory or radicchio and separate the leaves.
- Place a leaf on each salad plate as a cup to hold the salad.
- Fill the leaf with the salad.
- Top with a few walnut pieces and optionally garnish with a parsley leaf or chervil leaf.