Dried Fruit Filled Apple Dumplings with Vegan Caramel Sauce
These apple dumplings are a simple yet very tasty dessert or treat. They are best fresh from the oven or served warm.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 apples
- 9 frozen puff pastry squares, thawed (2 per apple plus one for decorations)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit mix – raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries, goji berries or others
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- pinch cinnamon
for the vegan caramel sauce:
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- pinch salt
- Thaw the puff pastry squares.
- Preheat the oven to the indicated temperature on the package of puff pastry.
- Mix the dried fruit with the tablespoon sugar and pinch of cinnamon.
- If using organic apples, you can leave the skin on, or if you prefer not to eat the skin, then peel the apple and remove the core.
- Set each of the apples on 1 square of puff pastry.
- Fill the cored area of the apple with the dried fruit mixture.
- Place the 2nd square of puff pastry over the top of the apple.
- Gently press the 2 squares of puff pastry together to completely seal the apple inside the pastry.
- Using a cookie cutter of choice, cut out small decorations for the dumplings.
- Moisten the under side of each decoration with water and place on top of the dumpling.
- Bake in the oven for 18-25 minutes or until the pastry is lightly golden brown.
- While the apples are baking, make the caramel sauce.
- Heat the vegan margarine in a small saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar, mix well and melt.
- Mix the corn starch in the vanilla soy milk and add to the brown sugar.
- Add the pinch of salt, and stir until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When the apples are golden brown, remove from the oven.
- Allow the apples to cool for a few minutes as they are very hot inside.
- Serve each apple with caramel sauce drizzled on top.