Vegan Polenta with Caramelized Apples
We saw this inviting recipe and looked forward to adapting it to be vegan. It was delicious – such a nice treat and tasty – either with the cheddar soy cheese melted on top or with the sweet cinnamon apples.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups water
- pinch salt
- 6 apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 splash lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup soy cream
- vegan cheddar to grate on top (optional)
to make the polenta:
- Bring the water with the pinch of salt to a boil.
- Add the polenta (cornmeal) and stir.
- Cook the polenta stirring until it thickens. Be careful of spattering boiling polenta as it can burn and hurt you.
- When the polenta has become very thick, remove from the heat and pour into a casserole dish.
- Cool in the refrigerator to harden.
to make the apple sauce:
- Slice the apples thinly, into a bowl of water with splash of lemon juice.
- In a saucepan, heat the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and has begun to turn a lovely amber color.
- Remove from the heat and add the vegan margarine, swirl the pan to mix the bubbling mixture evenly.
Return to the heat add the cider or apple juice and a pinch of salt.
- When the mixture begins to boil, add the apples.
- Simmer until the apples become soft.
- Add the 1/2 cup of soy cream and boil for about 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Serve slices of polenta topped with the apple sauce.
Alternatively, grate some soy cheese on top and bake until the cheese is melted.
inspired by http://www.motherthyme.com/2011/08/polenta-with-caramelized-apples.html