Vegan Rice Pudding with Caramelized Apples
The apples on the tree in our backyard are ready to pick, so we used some of them for this tasty treat that we enjoyed Sunday afternoon with coffee.
Yield: 4 servings
for the rice pudding:
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup arborio (risotto) rice
- 4 cups soy, almond, oat or other non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
for the apples:
- 3-4 Gala or other slightly sour apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 splash lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup soy cream
- whipped non-dairy topping (I used Soyatoo)
to make the rice pudding:
- Place 3 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice and throw away the water.
- Place the non-dairy milk and sugar in the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the rice, turn the heat down to simmer and cook until the rice is very soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed or cooked off. It will take about 35 minutes, and be sure to stir-otherwise it may scald.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, stir, place a lid on the pot and allow the rice too cool.
to make the apples:
- Peel the apples and cut into small pieces into a bowl of water with splash of lemon juice.
- In a saucepan, heat the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and has begun to turn a lovely amber color.
- Remove from the heat and add the vegan margarine, swirl the pan to mix the bubbling mixture evenly.
- Return to the heat, add the cider or apple juice and a pinch of salt.
- When the mixture begins to boil, add the apples.
- Simmer until the apples become soft.
- Add the 1/2 cup of soy cream and boil for about 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl to allow to cool.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of apple in the bottom of parfait glasses.
- Add a layer of rice pudding, and top with another layer of the apples.
- Garnish wit a dollop of non-dairy whipped topping.
This recipe makes a creamy smooth type of rice pudding.