Carrot, Fennel and Orange Soup
This is a lovely soup, mild yet flavorful with a lovely creamy consistency and a bright color.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 small fennel bulb, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons fennel seeds, ground
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 2 oranges)
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the sliced fennel, garlic and sliced carrots.
- Saute the vegetables until they begin to soften.
- Add the water, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a soft simmer.
- Cook the soup until the vegetables are soft (about 15-20 Minutes).
- Add the orange juice and puree the soup to a smooth creamy consistency.
- Season to taste with additional, salt, pepper or fennel.
- We garnished the soup with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and fennel seeds.