Deutsch | English

Lidia’s Pea Spread

Deutsche Version

This is a lovely spread that we enjoyed at the Lahder Krug, a restaurant in Petershagen-Lahde (Germany) during a birthday party. The restaurant usually serves traditional German meals, but they made an entire 5 course vegan meal just for us and did a really good job. We were very touched and happy to enjoy this special spread.

Lidia's Pea Spread

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients:

• 450 grams (2 & 1/2 cups) fresh or frozen peas
  • 1 large sweet onion as Spanish or Vidalia, chopped
  • 4-5 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt
  • freshly cracked pepper to taste

Lidia's Pea Spread

Directions:

1. Cook the peas in boiling water or steam them.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sweat the onions and garlic until soft and glassy, but be careful to not over-cook as the garlic becomes bitter.
  3. Drain the peas and place in a bowl.
  4. Add the sautéed onions and garlic and puree to a smooth texture.
  5. Add a very small pinch of salt and season to taste with cracked pepper.

Notes:

The flavor we enjoyed was quite garlicky yet sweet from the sauteed onion. This tasted delicious on whole grain bread but would also make a lovely dip for vegetables

Print this postJoin Club Vegalicious to print this post.
per monthper year
Click on the image of the post, if you are interested in buying a print or license. For more images like this: Food & Drink gallery

7 Responses to “Lidia’s Pea Spread”

1. Nadia says:

Looks very delicious! I’m obsessed with dips lately and try to mix and match them all the time, so will surely make this one soon :)

2. Chris says:

Hi Nadia,
    This is a very tasty spread. If you don’t want such a strong garlic flavor, you could cut down on the amount of garlic. We have a lot of different spreads and dips on Vegalicious. They are all very tasty. You can browse through them here http://www.vegalicious.org/category/meals/spreads-dips/ They work well either as a spread for reads and rolls, or as dips for fruits and veggies. I hope you give some a try and enjoy them.

3. Brad says:

This sounds absolutely fantastic and perfect for the potluck I’m attending on Thursday. Two questions: (1) Would edamame work as well as peas? (2) Is this dip served hot, cold, or at room temperature?

4. Chris says:

Hi Brad,
    Thank you fr your comment. Yes, edamame would work fine with this, also green favas are good. We’ve enjoyed the spread/dip in all 3 temperatures. At first, it was served at room temperature, but we’ve kept it in the frige, and I have it on toast for breakfast- cold. It could even work well as a hot spread on pasta- almost like a pesto, although in that case I think I would add a bit more seasonings to it. I used it yesterday as a spread for a vegan BLT at lunch so..it’s quite versatile, and would be easy to transport. I hope you enjoy it. Have fun at the pot luck.

5. Talla says:

Hi! Looks wonderful! Do you know for how long this spread can be stored in the fridge? Thanks!

6. Chris says:

Hi Talla,
    Thank you for your question. I’m sorry I can’t answer it. We found it so tasty- we ate it up in the first 2 days. If you really want to keep it. I’d freeze some… or make a smaller amount. If you have too much left over, you could turn it into a sauce for pasta. I’d thin it down with vegetable bouillon to a creamy smooth sauce. Hope this helps.

7. Chris says:

Hi Red,
    Thanks for your comment, and link. I’m glad you liked the recipe. We enjoy it also. And if everyone eats it..then no one notices the garlic smell :-) We have a lot of nice spreads and dips of various kinds on Vegalicious so many more to try with your tasty crackers…I will hop over to your blog ow and check out the post. Thank you.