Pineapple Tempeh Salad
This main meal salad tastes great on a hot summer’s evening. It is filling, but not heavy and delicious with the fresh pineapple.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 block tempeh (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh tangerine or orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, cut in small pieces
- 3 cups Napa cabbage, finely shredded crosswise
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon each finely diced fresh basil, mint, and cilantro
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- Slice the tempeh in thin bite-sized pieces.
- Brown in a frying pan evenly on all sizes and season to taste. We used a Mesquite sort of flavoring.
- Prepare the pineapple and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Grate the carrots and cut the scallions.
- Cut the red bell pepper (discard the seeds and stem).
- In a bowl, whisk together mustard, oil, and juices.
- Add tempeh and pineapple.
- In another bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots, herbs, and scallions.
- Add tempeh mixture to vegetables and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper.