Pasta with Fresh Asparagus and Garlicky Walnut Sauce
This was such a delightful dinner. It was full of flavor and very filling, yet not heavy. A great way to enjoy asparagus when it’s in season.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. spiral pasta
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6-8 slices vegan cold cut (smoky taste)
- 4 tablespoons fine olive oil (or walnut oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the asparagus and cut off the woody stem end.
- Cut the asparagus in bite sized pieces.
- Slice the garlic in fine thin slices
- Chop the walnuts
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook the pasta.
- In a separate pan, bring a lightly salted water to boil and cook the asparagus al dente.
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil, add the garlic and walnuts. Keep the oil warm, but do not over-cook the garlic as it becomes bitter when browned.
- Cut the vegan cold cut into small bite-sized pieces and add to the walnut garlic sauce.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pot.
- Add the oil with garlic, walnuts and vegan cold cut pieces to the pasta and mix well.
- Add the cayenne, and nutritional yeast and again mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving, drain the asparagus and add to the pasta. Gently mix the asparagus so s not to damage the tender pieces.
- Serve the pasta and enjoy.