Deutsch | English

Blue Uncheese

This is an amazing cheese alternative. It’s made from millet, of course with other ingredients as well. It really tasted as we remembered blue cheese to taste like. We enjoyed it with lovely vegan crackers and some fresh grapes.

Yield: 1 & 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup cashew nuts, chopped
  • 1 cup millet, cooked (from 1/2 cup dry)
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 1-2 tablespoons white miso
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • 4-6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1 teaspoon regular)
  • pinch nutmeg
  • 1 pkg. / 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon fresh chopped chives

Directions:

1. Spray 2-3 (depending on size) ramekins with oil, then set aside until “cheese” is ready.
  2. Put the cooked millet in a food processor and pulse to make a smooth paste.
  3. Add the chopped cashews and pulse again.
  4. Add the tahini, lemon juice and miso and again pulse.
  5. Add the seasonings and rest of the ingredients and pulse to blend.
  6. Taste and season accordingly.
  7. We found it to taste just right at this stage.
  8. Place 1/4 cup cold water in a small sauce pan.
  9. Add the agar agar powder and stir well to mix.
  10. Bring the mixture to a boil stirring constantly.
  11. Add the agar agar mixture to the cheese mixture and stir well.
  12. Pour or spoon the cheese mixture into the ramekins and allow to cool.
  13. Place in a refrigerator for 1-2 hours or chilled overnight.
  14. To remove from the ramekin, run a knife around the ring, and dip the bottom in boiling water for a 30 seconds, then invert onto a plate or lettuce leaf.

Notes:

We used 2 small baking rings and 1 ramekin as forms.

Alternative serving suggestion:

Serve the blue uncheese with Belgian endive and grapes as appetizer or salad. The blue cheese spread can be spread right away onto the Belgian endive leaves. Or if you wish to serve the blue cheese mixture as a solid, then it should be placed in a refrigerator for 1-2 hours or chilled overnight as described before.

to make the Belgian endive with blue uncheese spread:

1. Cut the bottom off the Belgian endive and separate the individual leaves.
  2. Spread each leaf with some of the blue cheese spread.
  3. Cut the grapes in half and pace 2 or 3 haves on each endive leaf.
  4. Arrange on a platter or individual salad places.
Print this postJoin Club Vegalicious to print this post.
per monthper year

23 Responses to “Blue Uncheese”

1. EC says:

At what point do you mix the agar agar to the cheese mixture?

I can’t wait to try this!

2. Karen says:

What a great idea! I’ve never seen a recipe that uses millet before! (much more affordable) I’m trying this for sure – thanks!

3. Emma says:

How interesting! I’d love to give this a try. Millet is so versatile :)

4. Edwin says:

Looks delicious! But where does the water+agar agar mix come in? It doesn’t say what to do with it after step 10.

5. I definitely need to try this. I’ve got most of the ingredients at home, except the nutritional yeast and the white miso. What does it do in the process and can it be susbtituted?

6. Wow, I’ve heard of cashew cheese, but I’ve never heard of adding millet! I’m going to have to try this some day when I have the free time. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

7. eva @5FruitsNVeggies says:

just like the other comment from @V. Gourmet, i’ve heard of using cashews for cheezes but not millet in combination…will try soon…just need to go to WF’s to buy millet…going on my shopping list today and recipe is in my que…

8. Kristine says:

YUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

I am so excited to make this!! THANK YOU for this recipe. I know what I will be having tonight!

9. Chris says:

Hi Kristine,
    Thank you for your comment :-) I was excited about this. It turned out quite yummy I think, and will have to make it more often. With practice, fine adjustments can be also made – a bit more miso, less salt, more parsley and some more chopped chives. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did.

10. Chris says:

Hi M.
    Thank you for your comment. This was really amazing. Great using the millet, gives it body without offering a strong flavor. That way you can determine your own flavoring with the added ingredients. Millet is really quite amazing. We also have a fantastic “cheesecake” recipe that uses millet. I used blackberries as a topping but any nice fruit works well.
    Blackberry-Lime “Teasecake” http://www.vegalicious.org/2009/08/02/blackberry-lime-teasecake/
    Hope you find time to try both the “cheese’ and the teasecake.

11. Chris says:

Hi EC, Thank you for your question. Right after step 10. When you make the agar agar. You then add it to the “cheese” mix well and then pour it into the forms.

12. Michelle says:

amazing, sounds affordable, more affordable than other uncheese recipes!
    Can’t wait to make this sometime.
    The problem is we don’t have a food processor at this time and we have a shitty blender that doesn’t do well with hard foods (like cashews or other nuts).
    We do have a hand-held blender which we sometimes use when a food processor is asked for in a recipe, do you think that could work also with making this “cheese”?

13. Kate says:

This looks great! Any idea of what measurement to use if I only have agar flakes and not powder? I need to make this as soon as I can but my food coop only sells the flakes.

14. Chris says:

Hi Michelle, Thank you for your comment.
    I think if you “overcook” the millet…meaning ..cook it so that it is very soft and “smooshie”. And use cashew butter (like peanut butter but with cashews) use the raw white-ish in color and mild in flavor. Then think ou can make it without a blender or food processor. It might me a bit more “grainy/less smooth than with the machine…but I tn it wold work. Good luck, and please let us know how it turned out.

15. Chris says:

Hi Kate,
    Thank you for your question. I’m sorry. I don’t know the answer. But, I’m sure you can google for it- something about converting agar agar powder to flakes or something. Good luck

16. Mmmmm This sounds so good!
    I make nut cheeses all the time, but adding millet makes it go farther!

Do you think it would work without the agar powder?

17. Chris says:

Hi Jessica,
    Thank you for your comment. Yes..you can make it without the agar agar..but it would be more of a creamy smooth sauce, You kind of need the agar agar to get it to really set solid. You ca of course try it..it is always tasty. You can use it for a cheese sauce.

18. Ileana says:

why not just make the flakes into powder?

19. Chris says:

Hi Ileana,
    Thank you for your suggestion.. Maybe that works..I don’t know…. I’m not all that experienced with agar agar..but it’s a good idea and worth a try.

20. Noora says:

I tried this out, but it didn’t really taste that much like blue cheese to me. But who knows, maybe my taste buds have forgotten what blue cheese was like!

21. Chris says:

Hi Noora,
    Thank you for your comment and observation. Yes, it’s difficult for me to remember also. It did seem like “blue cheese” to me. What I remember it to be like. What I remember, was very salty, and somewhat sour or piquant. I was very pleased with the “cheese” and will be making it again. It worked for us.

22. Noora says:

did you use salt when you made it? I used none since there was no salt mentioned in the recipe.

23. Chris says:

Hi Noora,
    I made exactly the recipe you see online. t tasted good to us..and as I said…what we remember a blue cheese t taste like. No, I did not add extra salt..I used the miso..and that was plenty salty. But as I remember blue cheese..it was quite salty. There are a lot of different blue cheeses in fact. There’s a Danish blue, the Brits have Stilton, and of course Roquefort and many others as well, each offers a different flavor, some are more creamy than others- The Stilton was very creamy and yet sharp/pungent. But I will have to admit- it’s been a long time since we’ve had cheese. If you adjust the recipe a bit I;m sure you can get it to what you remember blue cheese to be like. Perhaps a bit citrus??? Good luck.