Deutsch | English

Carrot-Pumpkin Bars with Orange Icing

This is a very tasty treat for the weekend. It’s lovely and moist and has a great flavor. We’re looking forward to enjoying it in the fall when we have pumpkins again.

Carrot-Pumpkin Bars with Orange Icing

for the orange icing:

• 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest

Cutting Carrot-Pumpkin Bars with Orange Icing

Directions:

1. Grate the carrots and chop the walnuts.
  2. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and zest in a large bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, spices, oil and vanilla.
  4. In a third small mixing bowl, mix and beat the egg replacements and add the soy milk.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
  6. Oil a 15X10X1 baking pan.
  7. Combine the pumpkin puree mixture with the flour mixture.
  8. Add the grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
  9. Pour the batter onto the oiled baking pan and spread evenly.
  10. Place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes.

While the bars are baking prepare the orange glaze:

1. Put the powdered sugar in a bowl.
  2. Gradually add the orange juice, stirring while you add.
  3. If you wish to drizzle the glaze then it should be a bit more liquid then if you wish to spread it evenly over the top.

When the bars are ready (the center springs back after lightly touching), remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before frosting.
Cut in bar or triangle shapes and enjoy.

Notes:

This can also become a cake, if you use a smaller baking dish. It would then be about 8 servings depending on size you cut.

Print this postJoin Club Vegalicious to print this post.
per monthper year
Your Source for Superfoods Since 1995
Click on the image of the post, if you are interested in buying a print or license. For more images like this: Food & Drink gallery

9 Responses to “Carrot-Pumpkin Bars with Orange Icing”

1. Buzzz says:

Just a question is three egg replacements the same as three eggs (so if the recipe says one egg one should take one egg replacement)?

2. Michelle says:

This sounds amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I’ll have to try this. :o )

3. Kiersten says:

Why wait until Fall? Pumpkin baked goods are delicious all year round!

4. Chris says:

Hi Buzz,
    Thank you for your question. Yes- 3 egg replacements are the replacements for 3 eggs. As vegans we do not eat eggs, but there are vegan egg replacements. And yes, also one egg van be replaced by using 1 egg replacement. There are many different replacements. People prefer one to another, or often in various countries one is available and not the other, so we are less specific about which one to use.

5. Chris says:

Hi Kiersten,
    Thank you for your comment. :-) yes, you’re right, pumpkins do taste good all year round. However, we eat a lot of them over the winter.We begin harvesting them in September and somewhere around April we have the last one. It’d good to take a break from them and enjoy all the great summer veggies. That way we really look forward to having thime again when the come into season. Apples and berries are the same. Our tree gives us lovely apples, and we can preserve some and enjoy a lot of them fresh. But when summer comes around we look forward to all the berries from the garden, giving the apples a break. We are lucky indeed to be having them all growing either out back, or at our allotment garden. I hope you find a way to grow some yourself, it really makes all the difference in the world to be harvesting your own.

6. Chris says:

Hi Michelle,
    Thank you for your comment. You are most welcome. This is a really yummy cake/bar recipe. I will be using this much more often :-) I hope you do too and enjoy t.

7. Patience says:

I’m not much of a cook. I followed this recipe step-by-step. I kept wondering what I was supposed to do with the egg replacement and soy milk. Needless to say, the dish had been in the oven for 10-15 minutes when I went back over the recipe. I saw the un-vegan version on food.com. It does include a step to add the egg replacement after stirring in the carrots and walnuts. It’s in the oven now and I am anxious to see how it turns out.

8. Courtney says:

I just made these and they are delicious!!! I am trying a vegan diet for lent and can’t believe how yummy these recipes are. I used whole wheat flour and added some pumpkin pie spice. For the 3 egg replacements I did 3 Tbsp of ground Flaxseed mixed with 9 Tbsp of water, then added the Soy Milk. Luckily, I figuered out to add this milk/”egg” mix to the main mixture before spooning it into the pan and baking. I highly recommend this recipe, and it smells great coming out of the oven!

9. Nicole says:

I just tried these and I could not get them to bake all the way through. I didn’t want to overcook the edges, but I did do an extra 7 minutes. The mushy version still tasted delicious, but obviously weren’t suitable to serve.