Vegan Asparagus Casserole
This is a delicious casserole. We used fresh white asparagus, as it is just coming into season now. It would also be very nice with the green asparagus.
Serving Size: 2
- 4 slices wholewheat toast, crusts cut off
- 4 slices vegan ‘bologna” or other vegan lunch meat
- 12 fresh asparagus spears, cooked and cut in half
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg replacement (optional but helps)
- splash lemon juice
- dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese, grated
- Prepare the asparagus.
- If you are using fresh white asparagus, peel the outer skin with a vegetable peeler and cut the hard dried end off.
- Cook the asparagus in lightly salted, boiling water until the spears become soft. It will be about 15-20 minutes.
- If you are using fresh green asparagus, then there is o need to peel them, wash and cut the dried end off, and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the crusts off the wholewheat bread and toast lightly in a toaster.
- Prepare the sauce by putting the soy yogurt in a bowl.
- Heat the water and dissolve the vegetable bouillon in the water.
- Add the egg replacement to the vegetable bouillon and stir to mix.
- When the vegetable bouillon egg replacement has cooled down a bit, add it to the soy yogurt to thin into a sauce.
- Add the mustard, lemon juice, optional nutmeg, and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Lightly oil an ovenproof baking dish.
- Place one layer of toast on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay one layer of vegan lunch meat or bologna on the toast.
- Cut 2 or 3 asparagus stalks in half and lay the 6 pieces on top.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the asparagus, then repeat they layers once more on top so there are 6 layers in total.
- Spoon the sauce over the top and around the sides.
- Grate the vegan cheese on top and place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the vegan cheese has melted and become lightly golden.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
This recipe made a generous main meal for two, or it could be enjoyed by four people, with a side dish and salad.