Deutsch | English

Spicy Tofu with Pea Pods, Bell Pepper and Orange Sauce

This is one of our favorite ways to enjoy an Asian flavored meal, with the tropical addition of orange. It’s a light and refreshing meal, but also substantial enough to be filling and satisfying.

Spicy Tofu with Pea Pods, Bell Pepper and Orange Sauce

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

• 1 lb. spicy tofu pieces
  • 1 sweet red bell pepper or long pointed pepper
  • 7 oz pea pods (200 g)
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2 organic oranges, zest from 1 and juice from both
  • 1 cup vegetable bouillon
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/8-1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • dash cayenne
  • dash ginger
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Directions:

1. Slice the bell pepper in thin strips.
  2. Slice the onion in thin rings.
  3. If the pea pods are small, leave them whole, if they are large, slice on the diagonal in half.
  4. Zest one of the oranges, then juice both.
  5. Make the sauce by combining the vegetable bouillon, orange juice, zest, soy sauce, cayenne, ginger and cornstarch.
  6. Mix well to make a smooth liquid.
  7. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
  8. Add the pepper pieces and begin to saute until soft.
  9. Add the onion rings and saute.
  10. Add the pea pods and tofu pieces.
  11. When the pea pods begin to soften, but are still bright in color and crunchy, add the sauce.
  12. Season to taste with salt and pepper
  13. Turn down the heat and stir until the sauce is clear and thick.
  14. We enjoyed the meal over rice.

Note:
Please consider a donation for Jears, the Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support, a coalition created to positively support rescue efforts for the animals who have been affected by the devastating earthquake that hit Japan March 11, 2011 and its aftermath.

Print this postJoin Club Vegalicious to print this post.
per monthper year
Click on the image of the post, if you are interested in buying a print or license. For more images like this: Food & Drink gallery

8 Responses to “Spicy Tofu with Pea Pods, Bell Pepper and Orange Sauce”

1. Charissa says:

I try not to have too much soy or tofu, but if I was going to have some…haha, this is something I’d pick!

2. Chris says:

Hi Charissa,
    Thank you for your comment. Yes, I understand…we alternate meals every other night is a meal with a protein in it. Alternate nights are totally vegetables. Of the protein meals we also alternate between seitan, tempeh, tofu and combi. of rice ad beans etc. This s a very tasty meal. he orange sauce really is lovely with the pea pods and tofu. Whenever you do decide to have it, I hope you enjoy it.

3. Kelsey says:

Really tasty.

Added a bit extra paprika for more flavour and then a couple tablespoons of agave nectar to balance it out.

4. Chris says:

Hi again Kelsey,
    Thank you for your comment. :-) I’m glad you enjoyed this we really did too. Yes, I would like a bit more paprika also, but as the blog is read by people around the world, and some have a more delicate constitution- I decided to keep it a bit more neutral yet flavorful. But it is a lovely combination. We just planted out sugar snaps in the garden so we’re looking forward to having this meal more often over the spring and summer. I hope you do as well.

5. James says:

Vegetable bouillon is listed in the ingredients but not used in directions. I guess this is part of the sauce mixture?

6. Chris says:

Hi James, Thank you for noticing that..I will ask my husband to write a correction for the post. Yes. The vegetable bouillon is one of the ingredients for the sauce. It is combined at step number 5 with the rest of the sauce ingredients. I hope you do make the recipe, it is very tasty.

7. James says:

I made it on Saturday for some friends and we all agreed it was delicious!

8. Chris says:

Oh Yea :-) I’m so glad :-) Thank you for informing all of us :-) I’m growing snow pea pods, just for this recipe, so we can do it more often :-) Thank you for your comment.