Vegan Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
A cheddar type sauce with a touch of Dijon mustard baked in the oven to a nice crispy texture.
Serving Size: 2
- 1-2 cup vegan cheddar sauce (see below)
- 1 & 2/3 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1-2 slices day old bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for the baking dish
- optional dried bread crumbs for the top
for the vegan cheddar sauce:
- 2 medium carrots, washed peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- dash cayenne (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- pinch sugar (optional)
to make the vegan cheddar sauce:
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots and place in a small saucepan with water that is 1/2 inch above the level of carrots.
- Cook until they are soft.
- Puree the carrots.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and return to the stove to cook until thick and creamy.
- Season to taste with additional salt, cayenne or mustard.
to make the macaroni and cheese:
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook until soft.
- Make the vegan cheddar sauce.
- When the macaroni is cooked, remove from the heat, drain the liquid off and place in a large owl.
- Pour the vegan cheddar sauce over the macaroni and mix well.
- Cut the bread slices in small cubes and add to the macaroni.
- Season to taste. You may want to add a bit more mustard and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Oil an oven-proof baking dish.
- Put the macaroni mixture in the baking dish.
- If you wish, sprinkle dried bread crumbs on top of the macaroni for a crispy topping.
- Bake the macaroni for 20-35 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
This recipe offers a nice serving for 4 as a side dish, or 2 as part of a main meal. We served it with a vegan omelet with sauteed fresh spinach as filling, using Vegan Dad’s omelet recipe.