Vegan Tapioca Pudding
Traditional homey goodness. Tapioca pudding is an age old favorite of many people. It is easy to enjoy as a vegan treat also. We used home made soy milk.
Serving Size: 4
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls
- 2 cups water for soaking
- 3 cups soy milk (vanilla flavored if possible)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional 1 tablespoon cornstarch to make the pudding thicker
- The night before, place 1/2 cup tapioca pearls in a bowl with 2 cups of water and place a lid or plate over the top.
- The next day, put the soy milk, sugar and salt in a heavy bottom pot and mix.
- Drain the water from the tapioca and add to the soy milk.
- Heat the mixture on a low heat stirring all the time.
- It will take about 15-20 minutes to boil and the tapioca balls to become translucent.
- It is very important to stir the entire time, otherwise the soy milk will scorch and dis-flavor the pudding.
- You need to cook the tapioca until the little balls are completely transparent. Otherwise, they are still hard.
- If you are using vanilla soy milk then you only need to add 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring. Do so now, as the tapioca is thickening.
- If you are using plain soy milk, then you may want to add a 2nd teaspoon of vanilla flavoring.
- If you want a very thick tapioca, you may want to dissolve a tablespoon of cornstarch in a bit of water and add to the cooking tapioca once the balls have become transparent. Then add the cornstarch and stir until thickened.
- Pour the cooked tapioca into individual serving dishes and cool or serve warm.
- We put a small dollop of vegan whipped cream (e.g. Soyatoo) on top and a cherry as decoration.