Cardamom Carrot Waffles with Maple Raisin Syrup
These are amazingly tasty waffles. We quite enjoyed them on a cold Sunday morning.
Yield: 6 double waffles
for the waffles:
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup finely grated carrots
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 egg replacements (like No Egg by Orgran)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
for the maple raisin syrup:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon corn starch to thicken
Make the syrup first.
to make the maple raisin syrup:
- Bring a cup of water to boil and put the raisins in. Remove from the heat and allow the raisins to swell.
- Shortly before serving the waffles, mix the cornstarch with a bit of water. Add to the raisin water and once again heat.
- Add the maple syrup and stir until the mixture has thickened and become clear.
to make the waffles:
- Peel and grate the carrots
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and sat in a large bowl.
- In a separate mix the vegan egg replacements with the oil.
- Add the vinegar to the soy milk to make a vegan soy “buttermilk”.
- Add the vegan soy milk to the oil and egg replacement and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Fold in the carrots.
- If the batter is too thick, add a bit more soy milk.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- When the waffle iron is 200 F / 92 C or the indicating light is green, spray the iron plates with cooking oil and spoon the batter onto the plate.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- When the waffle is ready, serve or keep warm in the oven until all the waffles are ready.
- Serve the waffles with the raisin syrup poured over the top.
adapted from http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9648