Lightly Curried Pear and Parsnip Soup
This is a lovely sweet and earthy soup with just a touch of curry. It is very creamy, warm and filling.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 onion or 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 good sized parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 large pears, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube or 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup soy cream
- dash nutmeg (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- minced parsley as an optional garnish
- Heat the vegan margarine in a large soup pot.
- Add the chopped onion or shallots and saute.
- Add the chopped parsnip.
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Add the curry powder.
- Add the chopped pear.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the parsnips become soft.
- When the parsnips are soft, remove a few pieces of parsnips and pears to use as garnish for the soup.
- Puree the rest of the soup to a smooth consistency. (I use an immersion blender)
- Add the soy cream and blend once more.
- Season the soup to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper or if you wish some cayenne or Tabasco.
- Serve the soup garnished with a few chunks of pears and parsnips and optionally with chopped parsley.