Gnocchi with Sicilian Eggplant Sauce
This is our new favorite way to enjoy gnocchi. Eggplants are still in season so we have a couple more opportunities to enjoy this tasty meal.
- 1 package gnocchi (500 grams)
- 1 eggplant, cubed in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 180 grams spicy ground tofu pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato chunks
- 2 handfuls raisins
- Italian seasonings (oregano, basil, thyme)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the eggplant, onions and garlic in the oil until the eggplant begins to soften and the onion becomes glassy.
- Add the ground tofu pieces.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, raisins and Italian seasonings.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and optionally with a pinch of cinnamon.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook the gnocchi.
- When they begin to float they are done, drain the cooked gnocchi from the water.
- To serve, either add the gnocchi to the sauce, or serve the gnocchi with the sauce on top. We garnished the meal with a few purple basil leaves.