Yum, this is a delicious appetizer, or can also be enjoyed as a nice lunch.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in small pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 basil leaves, chiffonade
- dash of Tabasco
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large baguette
License this image
- Chop the onion and saute in the oil.
- Add the chopped red bell pepper and cook until it begins to soften.
- Add the eggplant pieces and saute.
- Add the tomato pieces, red wine vinegar and tomato paste.
- Add the minced garlic and basil.
- Stir well to mix and allow all to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper and Tabasco if desired.
Slice the baguette ad brush each side to the slices with olive oil. Place on the grill to toast.
Serve the baguette with the eggplant on top, optionally garnished with basil leaves.