Ratatouille Pasta Salad
Well, summer is slowly arriving with higher temperatures. So that means for us, the beginning of salad season. Yea! Today we bring you a nice pasta salad – a bit different than the usual ones as the vegetables are cooked, roasted, baked or panfried, whichever is best for you- meaning cooler.
Serving Size: 4
- 250 grams of whole wheat spirali pasta
- oil for frying or to drizzle on baking
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in small bite sized pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut in small bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in small bite sized pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut in small bite sized pieces
- 2 med. onions, cut in small bite sized pieces
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- herbs de Provence
- dash cayenne
- fresh basil
- lemon pepper
- olive oil
- 1-2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- a bit of cilantro oil (made from fresh cilantro and olive oil with lemon juice)
- Cook the pasta in lightly salted water, drain and place in a large bowl that has a lid.
- As it is very warm today, I will be stir frying the veggies, not firing up the oven to bake.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan.
Lightly saute the onions, until one side is lightly brown, and they begin to be soft.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Do the same, with the bell peppers and garlic, then the zucchini, then the tomatoes, and at least the eggplant.
- Drain the extra oil from each vegetable well, as you don’t want the salad to be too heavy with oil.
- Make a dressing, from a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, herbes de Provence, lemon pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper and cayenne.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta and mix well.
- Add the vegetables and mix again.
- Add the nutritional yeast, mix and taste. Season to taste with additional seasonings if needed.
- Allow the salad to season for 3-4 hours. Serve at room temperature with fresh herbs as thyme and basil.