Asparagus, Fava Beans, Sugar Snap Pea Pods and Pea Salad
This tasty salad features the fresh foods that are now in season, all in bright green colors.
Serving Size: 2
for the salad:
- 5-6 spears fresh green asparagus, blanched and cut into 1/3 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fava beans, podded, blanched and skins removed
- handful young sugar snap pea pods
- 1/4 cup fresh peas, podded and blanched
- small bunch chives, minced
for the dressing:
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1-2 teaspoon mustard
- Cut the stems of the asparagus into 1/4″ pieces, leaving tips intact.
- Put a small pot of salted water to boil. Once boiling, put the asparagus pieces in to cook for just a couple of minutes until al dente.
- Using a slotted spoon take the asparagus out of the boiling water and place immediately into icy water to stop the cooking process. Then put them in a bowl.
- Repeat the blanching process with the pea pods, then the peas.
- Remove the favas from the pods and place them in the boiling water. Allow them to cook until they begin to float. Then remove and place in icy water to stop the cooking process.
- When the favas have cooled, remove the outer skin to reveal the bright green fava beans.
- Mince the chives.
- Make the dressing and season to taste with additional salt and pepper. We have many nice mustards. I used 2 for the dressing. 1 teaspoon of regular Dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon of a sweet, mild grainy one, so no other seasoning were needed.
To make the salad:
- Combine the vegetables in a serving bowl.
- Add most of the chives.
- Serve the vegetables on individual plates with a dollop of dressing on top. Sprinkle the rest of the chives on top and the rest of the dressing served at the table on the side.