Pumpkin, Pear, and Shallot Soup
This is a lovely smooth soup. The sweetness comes from the pears and the fact that the vegetables are roasted.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 lbs. of pumpkin or butternut squash, seeded and cubed
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and cubed
- 3-4 shallots, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch cardamom
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat he oven to 450 F / 232 C.
- Place the pumpkin or squash, pears, shallots and garlic in a ovenproof baking dish.
- Drizzle the oil over and roast for 35-45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Puree the roasted vegetables with the vegetables stock, dig 2 cupfuls first and then more according to how thick or thin you want the soup to be.
- Alternatively you can use an immersion blender and puree the soup in the pot.
- Add the cinnamon and coriander and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Reheat the soup in a pot and serve with croutons and garnished with a couple of sprigs of chives.
You can use butternut, kombucha, orange hokkaido/uchiki kuri pumpkins. We prefer the orange hokkaido as they are orange and organically grown, there is no need to peel them, we can use the skin as well.
adapted from http://thesepeasarehollow.blogspot.com/2009/12/soup-arsenal.html