Vegan Herbed Buttermilk Biscuits
It’s great to cut fresh herbs right from the kitchen. These are really tasty biscuits. We enjoyed them for a savory breakfast or brunch but they would also be a nice dinner roll.
Yield: 12 biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves stripped from the stems
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine, cold
- 3/4 cup cold soy milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 450 F / 232 C.
- Prepare the herbs.
- Put the flour, baking powder salt and garlic powder into a bowl.
- Put the lemon juice into the soy milk and allow to curdle.
- Add the cold vegan margarine and blend to a fine sandy consistency.
- Add the minced herbs and mix well.
- Add the soy milk and mix all together to a smooth soft dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured workspace and fold thee or four times.
- You don’t want to overwork the dough or it will not be flaky when cooked.
- Pat the dough out to about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Use a lightly dusted form to cut the shapes of the biscuits. I use a juice glass, or sometimes a heart form.
- Place the biscuits in the oven to bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly brown.
We ate these with our favorite sunflower spread. This time, not with horseradish, but made with chives.