Tofu Medallions with Chili Dusted Pineapple, Avocado Cream and Browned Plantain
Tastes of the tropics. The mild taste of tofu is brought t life with the blends of chili flavored pineapple, avocado cream and crunch plantains.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 block of tofu (12 ounces)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- pinch of salt and pepper
- pinch garlic powder
- 1 plantain
- oil for frying
- 3 slices of pineapple
- pinch of chili powder or cayenne
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut cream
for the marinade:
- 1-2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon pineapple juice or syrup
- pinch of onion powder
- pinch of garlic powder
- Mix the marinade and place in a shallow bowl.
- Cut the tofu into slices, blocks or medallions, dry with a paper towel and place in the marinade.
- From time to time turn the tofu, so that each side is in the marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- Peel the avocado, squeeze the lime over the avocado and puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper additionally with garlic if so desired.
- Place the oil in a small frying pan.
- Peel and slice the plantain and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Place the marinated tofu in the oil and sear on each side until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and set in the oven to remain warm with the plantain pieces,.
- Blot the pineapple slices dry and sprinkle with chili powder or cayenne and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Place 2 tablespoons of coconut cream on a plate.
- Set the tofu pieces on and around the plate.
- Add a couple of dollops of avocado cream and the pineapple pieces.
- Garnish wit a couple slices of plantains.
I served the meal with a side dish of green rice. The green rice was made by cooking the rice in a puree of cilantro, jalapeno and vegetable bouillon.