Minty Pea and Spinach Soup
We’re in the mood for Spring. This vibrant sweet soup tasted great on a cold but clear day. We are looking forward to making it with peas and spinach fresh from the garden, but that will be a while yet.
Serving Size: 4
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 1 small package frozen spinach
- 2 shallots
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes
- Fresh basil leaves
- fresh mint leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the peas and spinach in a large pot. (reserve a couple of peas as garnish)
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon cube and bring to a boil.
- While the sop is cooking, peel the shallots, chop finely and add to the soup.
- Pick the leaves from the basil and mint springs and also add to the soup.
- Add the nutritional yeast.
- When the soup has come to a boil, remove from the heat and puree it.
- We wanted a thick and chunky soup, so I did not puree it for long. If you want it very smooth then puree for longer.
- Taste the soup and add salt ad pepper or other flavorings as desired. We really enjoyed the soup just as it was, slightly sweet and minty.
If you would like a creamier soup, you can add soy cream after you have pureed the soup.