Spinach salad with mulled wine tomatoes
This very easy salad tastes lovely.
Serving Size: 2
For the mulled wine:
- 1 glass of red wine
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli
For the tomatoes:
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- handful of basil leaves, torn
For the salad
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves, washed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place all the mulled wine ingredients into a saucepan and cook for 4 minutes to infuse the wine with the spices.
- Add the tomatoes and basil leaves to the pan and cook for another minute.
- Toss the spinach leaves with the salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Pile the spinach onto the serving plates.
- Spoon the mulled tomatoes around the plate and drizzle with the mulled wine.
- Serve immediately.
It’s important to wait until the last moment to cook the mulled wine and tomatoes.
Adapted from Chef Tony Tobin of BBC Cooking