Cinnamon Apple Biscuits
These are a variation to the All American Biscuits we posted last year. It’s the same basic recipe, with a bit of sugar, cinnamon and apples added, and as they will bring moisture, a bit more flour too.
Yield: 9 big biscuits
- 2 & 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour (divided)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold soy margarine, in small pieces
- 3/4 cup cold soy milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (divided)
- 1 lg. apple, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- Melt 1 tablespoon of spy margarine in a small bowl.
- Set aside for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F / 232 C.
- Place the 2 & 1/2 cups flour in a blow.
- Add the baking powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Blend the soy margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture breaks down like sand particles. I do this by hand, it goes quickly and is not really that messy to do.
- Peel the apple, remove the core and cut the apple into small pieces.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, dust this mixture over the apples and mix to coat well.
- Add the apple mixture to the flour mixture.
- Add the soy milk and stir until the mixture clings together.
- Turn out onto a floured bread board or countertop and knead for 1 to 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth (I used self rising flour to dust the work space and work into the dough.
- Add more flour as needed if the dough is sticky (I used self rising in this case). Don’t overwork the dough, just blend enough so that it is no longer sticky and will hold together.
- Pat the dough out to about a 1/2-inch thickness.
The biscuits do not rise much, so don’t roll the dough out to thinly.
- Using a juice glass, dipped in flour at the rim, cut the dough into rounds.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and the rest of the cinnamon (1&1/2 teaspoons) together.
- Brush the melted butter (first step of directions) on the tops of each biscuit.
- Dust the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each biscuit.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until the feel firm to the touch.
- Serve hot.
adapted from http://www.vegalicious.org/2008/10/22/all-american-biscuits-with-apple-butter/