Mini Broccoli Quiches
We enjoyed these yummy quiches as our main meal tonight. They would also work well for a brunch. The batter is the same as for the Spanish omelet.
Yield: 6 mini quiches
- 6 squares frozen “hearty puff pastry”, thawed
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cups broccoli, washed, cut in florets
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- handful almond slices, toasted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 5 tablespoons soy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tomato, cut into eighths
- salt and pepper
- dash cayenne
- Steam the broccoli until it is al dente. Place in a mixing bowl to slightly cool.
- Saute the minced onion and chopped pepper in the oil.
- Add to the broccoli and mix.
- In a dry frying pan, toast the almond slices.
- Preheat the oven to 400 (F).
- Thaw 6 sheets of hardy puff pastry.
- Spray 6 small tart ramekins with cooking oil.
- Place 1 sheet of pasty dough in each of the ramekins and cut the excess away.
- Using a fork prick several holes in the bottom.
- Using a blender, mix the chickpea flour, water, soy milk, vinegar, salt and pepper, nutritional yeast, tomato and cayenne pepper.
- Puree until it is a smooth batter.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter over the broccoli, onions and bell pepper and mix.
- Spoon a generous amount of the broccoli mixture into each tart form.
- Pour an additional spoonful of the batter over each tart.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the batter becomes solid.
- Garnish with the toasted almonds.
Most supermarkets have 2 kinds of puff pastry. One is used for sweet recipes the other is for hardier savory recipes. If you can’t find the hardy pasty then the regular puff pastry will work fine also.