Exotic asparagus with a spicy mango sauce
The lovely sweetness of the mango pares nicely with the white asparagus to make this refreshing spring salad.
Serving Size: 4
- 750 grams white asparagus
- a pinch sugar
- 1 mango
- 125 ml. soy cream
- 2 tsp. grainy mustard
- salt and pepper
- some garden cress to garnish
- Peel the asparagus (instructions below).
- Cook the asparagus for about 30 minutes in lightly salted water with a pinch of sugar until the asparagus stems are soft.
- When the asparagus are ready chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Cut the mango (instructions below)
- Peel and slice the mango.
- Reserve one half of the slices as garnish.
- Place the other peeled half in a blender with the soy cream and mustard.
- Puree until the sauce has a smooth texture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and possibly a splash of lime juice.
- Chill the sauce in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve the asparagus on a bed of lettuce, garnished with the mango, the sauce and some garden cress.
Exotic asparagus with a spicy mango sauce from Harald Walker on Vimeo.
How to peel asparagus
- Carefully with one hand, hold the asparagus just below the tip.
- Holding the vegetable peeler with the other hand peel the asparagus from top to bottom in one long movement.
- Slightly turn the asparagus so that you peel all the way around.
- Cut of the end of the woody stem.
How to cut a mango
- Slice the mango 2/3′s of the way into the center along the widest face of the mango. Do not go all the way to the middle as that is where the stone is.
- Turn the mango around and cut the same amount from the other face of the mang.
- Sometimes it is also possible to trim a bit off the remaining sides, however the stone may be too large making it not possible.
This recipe is also tasty as a side dish, only then, you would serve the asparagus and sauce warm, and without the lettuce.